The Bombay, Baroda and Central India Railway (BB&CI Rly.) was a company incorporated in 1855 to undertake the task of constructing a railway line between Bombay and Baroda in India. Baroda(Vadodara) was a part of Historic BBCI Railway. The first train came to Baroda on 9th January 1861 and the city was connected with Broach and Surat. In 1861 BB&CI Railway completed the Surat -Baroda-Ahmedabad line. Bombay (Grant Road) was connected with Baroda in 1864 via Navsri and Bulsar. By 1879 Baroda was connected with Delhi via Palanpur, Ajmer, Jaipur and Alwar. On 5th November, 1951 the BB&CI Railway was merged with the Saurashtra, Rajputana and Jaipur railways to give rise to the Western Railway.
The Frontier Mail was flagged off on 1st September 1928, from Colaba Terminus, the main stations on the BB&CI Railway. It was the first luxurious and prestigious train in the Indian Subcontinent. The radio facility was provided for the first time in a running train in India and it was also the first fastest train of India. After Independence, it is running between Mumbai and Amristsar. The train has now been renamed "Golden Temple Mail".